A new ‘trends’ feature in the personalized feature in google serach. I am sure this will clearly make some people scared! They are using datamining technology to know more about – look at ‘people’ with similar searches tip at the bottom. A neat product if the customer doesn’t mind giving the data to google (as if something prevents them from using it even if you say no :D).
The data is represented in lots of ways. Very neat idea I should say. Monthly, weekly and hourly. What I learnt about myself from just looking at the data:
- this year I did lot of search during the month of october.
- During a week, I search most on tuesdays – quite possible thinking back I feel lot bored then and hence look around searching on the net.
- My search activity is amost the same through out the day i.e I am ever hungry and active before the computer but during the evenings it really really dips. I do chill out then.
- I am very interested right now in web applications.
Now, just let your imaginations run wild a bit – what can google do with this? Look at the array of prodcuts they have your account associated with:
I shall stop here as these are some of the decent products they have (Google Earth, Maps, Mobile Local, Desktop, Picasa are independent and kewl). Though the User Interface consistency is pathetic across their product offerings, which Google will soon have look into very seriously! A huge overhaul needs to be done! The price they pay for having independent projects or acquisitions. (even yahoo kinds of sucks in that way)
Coming back to the topic, some things we can expect in future from google not necessary:
- if these use these information to put their advertising business model in sync! wow, can u imagine – they know you love U2, Apple i.e Rock and Mac. So, they wouldn’t even bother showing ads that have windows product! Very HIGHLY RELEVANT ADS to the user at the HIGHLY relevant places at a relevant TIME! (year, week and mornings & nights)
- Gone will be the days when you see a victoria secret advertisement in the office when your boss is overlooking you in the morning but it would be completely ok in the night! ;-o
- Suggesting I should make friends with these people from ‘orkut, AIM’ – common like minded people GEL! Great minds think alike uh …
- You should read these blogs and news articles! A very relevant offshoot of Gnews but adaptable
Something thats missing in google is ‘photos’ as they are trying to take care of print (books) and video. May be who knows Riya may patch the chasm that flickr has for Yahoo! Other products in the making can be seen at Google Labs
Thinking back, though, all the services may be free letting some company know who you are is extremely scarry! Common dammit I myself don’t want to know who I am, isn’t life random? Especially given the fact that virtual and real world is converging and soon we are all going to be mobile with out even carrying our mobiles! eeks … In short, google can be a Wink away anyday.
Of course, before the Grinch spoils everything “Merry Christmas” – ‘may the Lord bless ye all’ 😉