Someone in the BCB thread asked for people’s recommendation for domain and hosting solutions. Folks in the group responded with list of urls to contact and all they had to qualify was its good. From my experience, I bought a domain for myself six months back and I am playing around in it in kind of stealth mode.
Domain from http://www.net4domains.com/ and hosting at http://dreamhost.com/ (got a free url for a year there). Touch wood my experience has been good in terms of there has been no downtime and everything works. Things I have played around with this online are:
- Got google for office account to work
- Get command prompt access to install drupal, wordpress etc.
- Try Facebook apps
- Try hacking general code whenever I get time
Basically a space to hack around when i get time and interest in the internet world!! rapid protyping you see 😀
But I think there are somethings to think about before going to a specific vendor and buying domain& hosting solution. To name a few:
- Support from the Vendor
- What purpose you want to use the hosting for
- Uptime through customer
- Cost (this is not much of a differentiator)
- Payment Options … ;P (matters if you are in India!)
The list of Urls provided in the mail thread from people were:
What are your thoughts? I would like more options here … 🙂