Ghani Zaman one of my flickr contacts is deeply involved with the North East India Project. He sent me an volunteer trip itinerary last year and has sent me one this year too. I couldn’t take it last year due to lack of time and this I am afraid I will not be able to join as I am on break entire this month and last (July and Aug). If all the stars, matched I would have definitely gone (I may still go though!).
I am blogging this just in case anyone of you would like to explore and take time off to fully understand atleast Nagaland (Northeast India). What better way than spend some time in a village (Yimjenkimong Village) and help in various projects like:
- Low cost Housing / Building.
- Health Education
- Water Resource Management
- Scholastic Education
- Computer Training
- Commerce and Eco-Tourism
- Arrive at Kolkata on 30th Nov 2008 morning. Take plane, afternoon flight or train.
- Train leaves at 3PM from Howrah from Kolkata to Guwahati. Train – Saraighat Express. Arrival time 9AM Train cost approx Rs.2100 AC 3tier. Plane difficult to say at the moment till prices stable.
- At Guwahati meet the team at the Rly station to travel on the overnight Intercity train up to Amguri in Assam.
- At Amguri the team hires vehicles to go into Nagaland via Tuli. Amguri to Tuli is approx 25 kms. Vehicle cost to be shared by passangers- Rs.2000 + by 3 passangers. From Tuli it is a very rough up hill drive for a couple of hours.
- At the village you will be allocated a home to stay @Rs. 600/ per day for food and lodging. We are going to stay for 10 days helping in the construction of a community centre and other activities as mentioned in the announcement earlier.
- We all leave on 10th Dec. back to our on places.